ecommerce, selling online, online sales

Join the Chart Your Path Newsletter

10X Value

Imagine 

You leave a comfortable job to start a business. Your boss discourages you from doing it. You start the business from your garage. Nobody knows your business. You work really hard at building it. You employ staff. You move to bigger premises. You bring investors on board. Over time, the business grows from strength to strength.  The world knows your business. 

Wealth

Today for every R 16 000 of wealth that your business creates, you get R 1600 and the other shareholders get R 14 400.  Honestly, how will you feel about this arrangement? Will you be thrilled, dissatisfied, perhaps even angry about it? 

From experience, most entrepreneurs will negatively view this arrangement for the following reasons

1.  Equity

You own 11% and the other shareholders own 89% of the business that you started.

2. Employed

If you are getting a tiny slice of  the wealth, you may feel that you are really an “employee” in the business that is running it. And the shareholders are reaping the financial windfall.

3. Losing

It can feel that no matter how well the business does in future, you will still be losing, even ripped off by the other shareholders. After all, R 1400 for every R 16 000 seems like a paltry sum for your contribution.

Real life

What happens when you add more zeros to the numbers that I shared above? In real life, this has been the best arrangement for one of the world’s richest entrepreneurs, Jeff Bezos.

The market value of Amazon is $1.6 trillion (around R 24 trillion), of which $ 1440 trillion (around R 21.6 trillion) goes to shareholders,. holding 89% of the shares. 

Jeff is doing exceptionally well, having amassed $160 billion (R 2.4 trillion) for his 11%.    

In his last letter to shareholders, Jeff says, 

“If you want to be successful in business (in life, actually), you have to create more than you consume. Your goal should be to create value for everyone you interact with. Any business that doesn’t create value for those it touches, even if it appears successful on the surface, isn’t long for this world. It’s on the way out.”

Powerful Execution

Starting a business comes with never ending obstacles on the path. For example, has this ever happened in your business:  You are passionate, ethical and competent. You are working hard.

Read More »
emotions, adventure, vacations

Financial freedom

What does financial freedom mean for an entrepreneur? From experience working with entrepreneurs, they often mention having lots and lots of money, never having to work again (unless they want

Read More »
road, coast, cliff

Making a difference

We live in a country that is globally seen fairly, having an advanced economy on the continent, and well ahead of our regional neighbors. We live in a country that

Read More »
inequality, poverty, homeless

Unemployment Crisis

Generally, hitting new highs is always great news. Except when it comes to unemployment in South Africa.  We keep reaching new record levels of unemployment, with no end in sight.

Read More »
heart, love, sunset

Love and Work

Do you love the work you do? Or does it feel like a slog, an endless grind that you go through day after day? Are you absolutely in love with

Read More »

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Scroll to Top
Skip to content